Monday, February 16, 2009

Upper GI - YUCKY GROSS!!!

So I spent this morning at the hospital - had to have a couple of tests. Has anyone had a upper G.I.? If the answer is "yes" - I am SOOOOO SORRY - if the answer is "no" NEVER NEVER NEVER have this test...unless you ABSOLUTELY have to!! SO NASTY!! This is how it starts.......Strip from the waist up.....lovely enough.....THEN - you drink a little sacrament sized cup of rocks - FIZZY rocks......MEGA fizzy rocks - with about half a sacrament sized cup of water...to wash it down - and get it REALLY fizzing. THEN......you get the hot chocolate sized cup of "thick barium" - this stuff looks like chalk, tasts like chalk and is the consistency of mud. They say take a big gulp - OK......Gulp.....Gag.....gag......gag.....gag...."take another big gulp...."gag...gag....gag.....gag.....gag...."now drink the whole thing".....Me - "ARE YOU KIDDING ME"....them - NO....you need to drink the whole thing.....GAG/...GAG.....GAG......GAG....done. (during all this they are having me hold my breath and turn various directions while they x-ray my guts). They lay the table down....have me roll around like a log -3 times - which is NOT an easy thing to do when you are on a table that is about a foot wide - and you have all the x-ray stuff above you!! So - after you roll - they say - lay on your stomach....you do - and then JOY of JOYS...here comes the "thin barium". Another hot chocolate sized cup - FULL.....of the same stuff as before - but now it's the texture of.......thin mud. This one they say GULP........so you start gulping.......GAG....Gag....>Gag......Gag......Gag...... and you KNOW it's bad when the male nurse keeps asking if you are OK.......During this loveliness they say.......Hold your breath and don't move....gulp more - hold your breath don't move.....gulp some more. Last but not least - roll over onto your back....(thank HEAVENS the drinking crap is over). Now -I kid you not....this is what they say...."bear down like you are going to have a bowel movement.....BUT DON'T"..... Which makes me laugh - as IF I am going to have a BM on the table!!! So - you do what they say and FINALLY it's over!! YOU ARE DONE........when you go to change your clothes - you look in the mirror and see that your entire MOUTH is white - covered in dried up barium - both thick and thin........your teeth are coated and GRITTY......and your throat is burning from the fizzy crap - and FINALLY......relief - BUUUUUURRRRRRRPPPPPPPPP! After the upper GI the EKG was a BREEZE!!! Hopefully everything is OK - and I will NEVER NEVER NEVER have to do that again - EVER!!!!!

4 comments:

Debbie Hadley said...

Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry you had to go through that...a little too much detail! (-:
I hope you are okay and I pray I never have to have that test done b/c drinking anything chalky would be the end for me.

Dan, Pam and Family said...

HOLY COW!!!!!!!
Soooo sorry you had to go through that.
That sounds so awful its almost funny.
Made me shudder and laugh.
Sounds about a million times worse then a mammogram, or even a Colonoscopy.
I don't think my gag reflexes would EVER let me drink that stuff without puking it all back up.
Have you gotten any results back yet?
Pam

Leslie said...

That's the grossest thing ever from the details. Said only like Jessica could...yucky, but funny too. So is this a routine test that we all have to do sometime or are you having it done for a problem? Hope the results are good ones.

Cindy Smith said...

Eek! How horrible! Stuff like that is why I avoid doctors as much as possible nowadays!

What was the test checking for? Are you having stomach problems? I hope they can find what they are looking for, so you don't have to endure more lovely doctor visits!