Saturday, May 9, 2009

To my Mom......To all the women who influence my life!

I recently finished reading a book - Big Stone Gap - which I really enjoyed. It's a cute story about a woman who looses her Mother....at least that is part of the story. As I was reading, I came along a paragraph that made me cry, and made me think of my Mom. "The terrible things that happen to us in this life never make any sense when we're in the middle of them, floundering, no end in sight. There is no rope to hang on to it seems. Mothers can soothe children during those times, through their reassurance. No one worries about you like your mother, and when she is gone, the world seems unsafe, things happen unwieldy. You cannot turn to her anymore, and it changes your life forever. There is no on one earth who knew you from the day you were born; who knew exactly what to say when you were hurting; and encouraged you to grow a good heart. When that layer goes, whatever is left of your childhood goes with her. Memories are very different and cannot soothe you the same way her touch did. "
Even now.....whenever I am sick, Joel says.....do you want me to call your Mom? There is SO much comfort for me just in her voice. I remember as a little girl, my biggest fear was that something would happen to her....(a very rational fear under the circumstance with my dad). I remember saying that if ANYTHING were to ever happen to my Mom, I wouldn't want to live anymore!! I still feel that way in my heart. My sweet Cassie has been VERY emotionally drawn to me lately.....and the other night she was trying to figure out HOW we could die at the same time......."Grandma should live a really really really really long time, and You should live a really really really long time, and I will live a Really Really long time....and when I am ready to die, we can all die together - that way we will never have to not be with each other". She hugged me and started crying.....and of course - NO ONE CRIES ALONE.......but I was so touched by her feelings. EVERYONE loves their Mom! Maybe it's the unconditional love, maybe it's the constant and unshaken Testimony of the Gospel, maybe its all the amazing knowledge and loving advice, maybe it's like the book said.....that someone knows you from the second you were born, which means they just REALLY get you, maybe it's the differences - and the trying to figure the whole relationship out, maybe it's the knowledge of prayers offered and tears cried on my behalf, well.....whatever it is, I am ETERNALLY grateful for my Mom - for EVERY reason.....for ALL the reasons!
And......I have to add - I am ETERNALLY grateful for ALL of the "Moms" in my life. My amazing Mother in Law - who works TIRELESSLY........at EVERYTHING! Who has been a constant source of support and love, who sets an AMAZING example of missionary service, who still has TONS of get up and go and takes the time to share herself with my daughter - who adores her! For my sisters and sisters in law (Friend you are in this group)- who have so generously shared their beautiful little ones with me, who are such wonderful examples of Motherhood. It's amazing to me to see how perfectly each child was placed....how different each child is, but how PERFECT their moms are for them! For all the Moms who have shared their time with me, and listened to me wonder if I am a good enough Mom. From the strength and support we share with each other. For my Grandmas.....My Grandma Smith whose influence I feel daily in my life. My Granny Meadows - at times made me wonder if she even liked me, but for some reason made it very clear that she LOVED me, and for my Grandma Howard - who accepted me perfectly. To all the amazing Mothers in my life - Happy Mothers Day! THANK YOU! For your constant and wonderful influence in my life.
And to my Amazing Mom......Thank you for giving me life, and THANK YOU for making it good!!!

4 comments:

Holli said...

what a great tribute to moms and especially your mom. That's awesome!

Debbie Hadley said...

That is one of the best quotes EVER!!! We are so blessed to have such an amazing Mom. You are one of the best Mom's I know and I thank you for your awesome example. HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY TO YOU!

Dan, Pam and Family said...

VERY touching tribute Jess!
You can tell you were writing with the Spirit.
You are the best Daughter, Mom, Sister, Aunt, Cousin, FRIEND that any of us could hope for.
Love You Always!
Pam

Leslie said...

BEAUTIFUL! Truly inspired! Thank you for making the world a better place and thank you for helping us all be better moms through your example and loving advice.